I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bruschetta and Roasted Tomato Soup

Though I am not a big fan of making things from scratch in this isolated case I have to. In this country the only tomato soup you can buy comes in powder. Actually, I don't mind making things from scratch but if I can buy it and it taste just as yummy than my theory is "just buy it". This is fairly easy just be careful when you puree. Make sure you don't fill the blender too high. I usually put a towel over the blender to avoid a messy kitchen wall and counters. It is delicious and family friendly! Our 2 and 5yr old love it!

Roasted Tomato Soup




• 6 cups (3 pints) cherry tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 4 garlic cloves
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons of sugar
2tspns of oregano
2 bay leaves
2 slices of bacon
1 med red bell pepper
• 1 cup whipping cream

1. Heat the oven to 400°. On a baking sheet, combine the cherry tomatoes, red pepper sliced in fours, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 3 garlic cloves and the salt and pepper. Toss the ingredients to coat evenly and spread them in a single layer. Roast the tomatoes until they are shriveled with brown spots, about 35 minutes.
2. In a large pot, cook bacon, then add butter over medium heat. Add 1 garlic (mince this one) and onion and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes with their juice, the broth, 2 tblspn sugar, oregano, bay leaves and the roasted tomatoes, garlic and red peppers, including any liquid on the baking sheet. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
3. Using a food processor or blender, puree the soup until it's smooth. Return it to the pot and stir in the cream and 1tbspn of sugar. Without letting the soup boil, warm it over medium heat, stirring often, until steaming. Add salt and pepper, if necessary. If you want it a bit sweeter add another tablespoon of sugar.
4. Serve with Bruschetta. slice french bread, brush olive oil over each slice, italian seasoning, garlic paste or salt and mozzarella. Bake in oven until toasty and cheese has melted.
5. Lay a slice of bruschetta over soup.
If you choose not to use bacon then add 1 tblspn of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment