I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Creamy Chipotle Gravy

Tonights meal brought back lots of memories of my moms cooking.  By no means can I compare my mothers amazing cooking to mine but it was close enough.

Chipotle Cream Gravy
Ingredients:


1 cp pan drippings, bacon grease or vegetable oil (I USED the drippings from my crockpot chicken, see above which was 1.5 cps)
2 tablespoons flour
1 cp milk
1/2 cp heavy cream
1 tsp black pepper
1/3 cp of canned Chipotle Chiles in sauce, diced
2tsp of Cumin
1 med onion
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4cp of mushrooms, halved
2 tb cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste

Directions:
Combine fat (if your drippings are more than 1cp add more flour) with flour in a hot skillet, continuously stirring, cook on medium for a couple of minutes until a dark roux is formed. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms cumin, cilantro and chiles. If it starts to stick add a little bit of butter.
Add milk slowly to skillet, and mix with roux using either a whisk or wooden spoon (be sure and press out any lumps). Turn heat to low and continue stirring until mixture is thickened, a couple more minutes. Add pepper and salt to taste.
If gravy is too thick for your taste, you can thin it by adding either more milk or water a tablespoon at a time.

I poured it over my rice and chicken.  I will post recipe combo later.

No comments:

Post a Comment