I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

No Sew Captain Hook Costume using a Tee

Nothing like last minute work to get your creative juices flowing.  My boys request this morning was "I want a Captain Hook costume & Peter Pan costume."  Yes, of course this request is coming the day before our party and on top of that tonight I have a baby shower that I am helping throw.

Our attempt!
What you need is a T-shirt your willing to cut up or you can use a polo.
You can leave the sleeves on but for us it worked better to make it a sleeveless coat.
Then you will need Glue, Gold ribbon, Black ribbon and Black felt for the bottom trim.  I glued on all of this to the polo. 
1. I used the black felt for the bottom part of Captain hooks coat. And added this first.
2. Then I added the black ribbon around the edges where I cut down the middle. This gave it a more clean look and it covered up the raw edges.
3. Next I added gold ribbon and glued it over the black felt and the t-shirt.
 This part was so easy it took about 20min.

The hat was alot harder for me. I used the template from The Hive. It worked great except my son is 7 and has a lot of hair so her template was too small for my boy.  I had to guess at measurements. I had already messed up my other sons, Peter Pan hat and had to redo it so I was trying to avoid redoing this one. It was still slightly too small but it will work.

You will need black felt, glue and chalk.  I followed  her directions for the template and used chalk to draw it on first. 

Then I cut it out and glued both pieces together.  She sews them but I had no time for sewing and this worked just fine.


3 comments:

  1. Super cute! My cousin's little boy wanted to be Captain Hook; Had I seen this I would have referred her right away!

    Coming over from: http://chasing2monkeys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! And I bet you could even use this same idea to make a Prince Charming coat... just add some tassels on the shoulder and keep it buttoned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips the t-shirt worked out great. It was easy.

    ReplyDelete